God did not intend for our lives to be lived in solitude. God exists as a trinity in relationship and as his image bearers we were created to exist in relationship. The very first thing that is "not good" in the Bible was that Adam was alone (Genesis 2:8). Being in community is not only beneficial, it is obedient.
"Life Groups are made up of disciples [become] on mission to make disciples [bless] in community as a family [belong] because of the graceful good news of Jesus Christ [believe]" [for more content on Life Groups and the 4Bs click here]
The explanations below correspond with the three pictures above.
A CHRISTIAN: the Christian life is about living out your identity that you receive by grace. Rather than asking the question, “What should we do?”, we first ask the question, “Who am I?” You receive your identity when Jesus saves you by the power of the gospel. Each individual Christian is adopted by God as His child and belongs to His family when they believe the gospel, is sent as a blessing (missionary means “a sent-one”) into the world, and is called to increasingly become like Jesus as His image bearer.
A LIFE GROUP: a group of people committed to believing the gospel and living out the identity that it gives them because of grace. A Life Group belongs to one another as a family, is sent by God as a blessing to the world and seeks to become more like Jesus as his disciples. In short, a Life Group is shaped by the gospel, is a community, and is on mission. A Life Group is about following Jesus in community.
GRACE COMMUNITY CHURCH: is made up of many Life Groups. The groups are unified because they are all about being shaped by the gospel and living out the identity that Jesus gives to us. The groups are all different in that no family is the same and no mission field is the same. Groups have different gathering times, locations, and personalities, but are all about Jesus. We gather together on Sunday mornings to celebrate what Jesus is doing, worship him together, and learn from his word. When we leave the Service Sunday AM, we enter into our mission field together as the sent ones of God.
View Grace's Life Groups in Google Maps
SEARCH OUR DIRECTORY: https://gccphxaz.infellowship.com/GroupSearch
Joining a Life Group can be hard. It takes work to cultivate and grow meaningful relationships. Here are some simple steps to follow so that you can successfully join a Life Group:
1. Contact the LG Leader - Life Groups are like families: each week is a little bit different. Let them know you are interested in visiting the group and ask if there are any details you should be aware of.
2. Go to the Life Group - Depending on the group, there might be other new people there as well. Do what you can to initiate with people and get to know them.
3. Initiate Relationships beyond the Life Group - Being part of a Life Group is great, but meeting up with people 1 on 1 is a fantastic way of getting to know people faster. Real community does not just happen one night per week; the sooner you begin to take part in initiating meaningful relationships the sooner it will happen!
4. Be Patient - Everyone is a work in progress (Philippians 1:6) and nobody has it all together. Every Life Group is filled with broken people. The longer you invest in a Life Group the more meaningful each week will become.
Interested in Leading a Life Group? Here are some steps to take:
1. Join a Life Group - Find one from the map above. Join in, be lead, and get a feel for what the week to week experience of a Life Group is.
2. Talk with Your Life Group Leader - Your Life Group leader has gone through training, heard the vision of Life Groups in details, and is meeting with a Life Group Coach. Learn from them and listen to their advice.
3. Contact JohnHeston@GraceAZ.com or SethTroutt@GraceAZ.com - John and Seth lead the Life Groups here at Grace and are always interested in planting new Life Groups. They will work with you to create a plan to ensure you are equipped for the task of leading a Life Group.
Next Generation Pastor
Phone - 480-894-2201